AFMC makes available information and other materials on this Site, subject to the following terms and conditions. By accessing this Site, you accept and agree to be bound by these Terms. If you are dissatisfied with this Site or with these Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using this Site. AFMC reserves the right to change, modify, add or remove portions from these Terms from time to time at its sole discretion in the manner set for hereunder. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
Ownership of Materials and Trademark Information
AFMC brings to your attention that the Site contains information, trademarks, logos, service marks, designs, text, images, audio and video, and other forms of materials or intellectual property owned by AFMC and its Suppliers, affiliates and licensor ("AFMC Proprietary Material"). AFMC Proprietary Material is the property of AFMC and its affiliates or licensors, unless otherwise noted. AFMC Proprietary Material is protected by laws of Canada and any other jurisdiction throughout the world and international treaty provisions. You may not remove, conceal, obscure or change any copyright or other proprietary notices or marks from AFMC Proprietary Material. Except as specifically permitted herein, no AFMC Proprietary Material on this Site may be reproduced, displayed, distributed, communicated, performed, modified, transmitted or otherwise used in any form or by any means for any public or commercial purpose without prior written permission from AFMC. "The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada" and the AMFC logo are trademarks of AFMC.
Likewise, the Site may contain information, trademarks, logos, service marks, designs, text, images, audio-video, and other forms of materials or intellectual property owned by the medical school (the “MS Proprietary Material”). You understand and agree: (i) that the MS Proprietary Material is protected by laws of Canada and any other legislation applicable; and (ii) that your obligation and undertakings described in the above paragraph shall apply with the necessary changes to said MS Proprietary Material.
Use of Site Materials
Except where otherwise stated on particular pages of this Site, you may view, copy, and print any downloadable material available on this Site subject to the following conditions:
AFMC reserves the right to revoke such authorization at any time, and any such use shall be discontinued immediately upon written notice from AFMC. Any copy of the materials or portion thereof must include the copyright and any other proprietary notices which accompany or are contained within the AFMC Proprietary Materials. If such materials or portion thereof are not accompanied by a copyright notice you must include the following copyright notice: Copyright© 2016 The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada. All Rights Reserved.
Materials specified above do not include the design or layout of this Site. The design and layout of this Site are protected by copyright, trademark, trade dress and other laws, and may not be copied or imitated in whole or in part.
Warranties, Disclaimers, Limitation of Liability
Except as expressly provided otherwise in a written agreement between you and AFMC the Site and the services, and all materials on this Site, are provided "as is", and AFMC and its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, suppliers and service providers disclaim all warranties, representations, and conditions express or implied :
Likewise, references to corporations, their services, and products, are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
In no event shall AFMC, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, suppliers and service providers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, consequential or punitive damages of any kind, or any damages whatsoever. AFMC warrants that it will comply with applicable law and at all times use reasonable efforts to protect personal and other information on the portal and on its services, but in light of the foregoing, AFMC denies and disclaims – to the fullest extent possible under applicable law – all responsibility for loss of use, data or profits, whether or not advised of the possibility of damage, and on any theory of liability, including tort, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of this information. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
This Site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by AFMC from its offices within the Province of Ontario, Canada. By accessing this Site, you and AFMC agree that to the fullest extent possible under applicable law, all matters relating to your access to, or use of, this Site shall be governed by the statutes and laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein, without regard to the conflicts of laws principles thereof. To the fullest extent possible under applicable law, you and AFMC also agree and hereby submit to the personal jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the Province of Ontario with respect to such matters. AFMC makes no representation that materials on this Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this Site from other locations do so of their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws. This Site may contain references to AFMC products, services, and programs that have not been announced in your jurisdiction. These references do not imply that AFMC intends to announce such products, services or programs in your jurisdiction.
Links to Other Sites
This Site contains links to third-party web sites. These links are provided solely for your convenience. AFMC and its affiliates do not endorse the content of any such third-party web site, have not reviewed the material linked to any such web site, and are not responsible for the content of any such web site. Your accessing and viewing of any such third party web site is conducted at your own risk.
AFMC reserves the right to change these Terms. Should any material change be made, then AFMC will provide notification of such material change: (i) via a banner notice on the Site, or (ii) through any other means including mobile number, telephone or mail should the visitors of the Site have an online account on AFMC Portal. In view of the foregoing, you agree to keep your contact information up to date should you have an online account on AFMC Portal. Thereafter, the Terms as amended will be rendered available on the Site.
Likewise, AFMC will post an updated version of these Terms each time a minor or ancillary amendment is made to them. In that respect, you should check these Terms periodically in order to review AFMC’s current practices.
You can always tell if these Terms have changed by looking at the effective date appearing at the bottom of said Terms.
Your continued use of the Site following the modification of these Terms will constitute acceptance of any such amendment. Should you disagree with the amendments made to these Terms, you shall immediately stop accessing or using AFMC’s Site or portal and you shall delete your account.
If any provision of these Terms is declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, such provision or part thereof which is necessary to render the provision valid, legal and enforceable, shall be severed from these Terms and the other provisions and the remaining part of that provision shall remain in full force and effect.
You may not assign these Terms. No supplement, modification or amendment to these Terms proposed by you shall be binding on AFMC unless agreed to by AFMC in writing. No waiver of any of these Terms shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such Term or any other term or condition.
These Terms are binding upon and shall endure to the benefit of AFMC and its successors and permitted assigns.
1. Portal. The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (“AFMC”) has developed and operates a web-based interface to be found at www.afmcstudentportal.ca, www.portailetudiantsafmc.ca, https://afmc.ca/medical-education/mcat-fee-assistance-program-canadians , www.afmc.ca/fr/education-medicale/programme-d'aide-financiere-pour-les-candidats-a-l'examen-mcat or other such URLs as may be designated by AFMC from time to time (the “Portal”). The Portal is an online, bilingual service to facilitate the application and placement of visiting medical students applicants wishing to do undergraduate electives (the “Visiting Electives”) at one of the 17 faculties of medicine in Canada (collectively, the “Medical Schools”) and facilitate the application to the MCAT® Fee Assistance Program for Canadians. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the Association of Faculties of Medicine in Canada (AFMC) are piloting a fee assistance program to help medical students who need financial assistance to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT®). The AAMC and AFMC are working together to pilot a fee assistance program for Canadian examinees who register for the 2018 MCAT testing year.
2. Personal Information. Some personal information, that is to say, information that can be used to identify you or relates to you, including but not limited to financial information (the “Personal Information”) will be required at the time of registering for the Portal. Personal information can be stored in your profile on the Portal and will also be shared as necessary to apply awards within the MCAT® Fee Assistance Program for Canadians. This information is required by AFMC and/or by the AAMC for the purpose of registering for the Portal and/or for your application for fee assistance. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You may remove any of your Personal Information stored in your profile on the Portal; however, such removal may limit your application.
AFMC may collect, use and store:
Aggregated de-identified information about the Website and Portal development and traffic, your interactions with any webpage or AFMC content, and demographic or geographical information.
Applicants awarded fee assistance will have their AAMC ID transmitted to the AAMC for the purposes of receiving 2018 FAP rates for registration, rescheduling, and cancellation and consent for the AAMC to use the AAMC ID for research purposes, and providing evidence of this consent to the AAMC upon request.
3. Application information and supporting documentation. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application information and all supporting documentation are truthful, complete and correct. AFMC reserves the right to verify any information provided as part of the eligibility and application process. If any information you provide is determined to be false or misleading, concealed or withheld, your registration in the Portal or application(s may be invalidated or denied..
4. Material. You, not AFMC, shall have sole responsibility for the accuracy, quality, integrity, legality, reliability, appropriateness and intellectual property ownership or right to use of the material you provide. AFMC shall not be responsible or liable for any errors (as indicated above).
5. Portal application and ID. You are solely responsible for keeping your Portal application user identification, login information and other registration information confidential and secure. Please notify AFMC immediately if you suspect any unauthorized access, use or disclosure.
6. DISCLAIMER. THE PORTAL AND ALL CONTENT IS PROVIDED TO YOU STRICTLY ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. ALL CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED by statute, common law, usage of trade, course of dealing, custom, or otherwise, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, quality, description, operation, adequacy, suitability, uninterrupted use, title OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, ARE HEREBY DENIED AND DISCLAIMED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW BY AFMC. FURTHERMORE, AFMC MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR GUARANTY AS TO THE RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, SUITABILITY, TRUTH, AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE PORTAL OR ANY CONTENT. AFMC DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT (A)THE USE OF THE PORTAL WILL BE SECURE, TIMELY, UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE OR OPERATE IN COMBINATION WITH ANY OTHER HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, SYSTEM OR DATA, (B) THE PORTAL WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS, (C) ANY STORED DATA WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (D) ERRORS OR DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECT, OR (E) THE PORTAL OR THE SERVER(S) THAT MAKE THE PORTAL AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.THE PORTAL MAY BE SUBJECT TO LIMITATIONS, DELAYS, AND OTHER PROBLEMS INHERENT IN THE USE OF THE INTERNET AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS. AFMC IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DELAYS, DELIVERY FAILURES, OR OTHER DAMAGE RESULTING FROM SUCH PROBLEMS.
[Registrant Declaration to be filled – See following page]
· The Fee assistance program provides reduced scheduling, rescheduling, and cancellation rates for the 2018 and 2019 testing years. Additional FAP benefits currently available to U.S. examinees (e.g., exam preparatory materials and scholarships for educational re-evaluations) will not be extended to Canadians during the pilot year of this program.
· Fee Assistance Program approvals are limited in number, selected from the eligible applicant pool based on AFMC’s determination of highest need.
· Approval for the Fee Assistance Program may be withdrawn for prospective use at any time in the event that the governing Agreement between the AFMC and AAMC is terminated.
Use of Personal Information
The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada ("AFMC") owns and operates this Site and is committed to protecting the privacy of its users. AFMC does not collect personal information about individual users except: (a) when such personal information is provided to AFMC on a voluntary basis; (b) to monitor traffic to the Site, or (c) to determine the future direction of the Site including any necessary technical upgrades. AFMC uses your personal information to help it create and deliver content most relevant to you and to provide you with information about AFMC and its products and services which are made available to facilitate the application and placement of Visiting Electives. If you do not agree to the terms of this Policy, you shall refrain from using our products or services, including this Site.
Personal information about users will not be sold or otherwise transferred to third parties without the user's approval, except AFMC reserves the right, to disclose personal information: (a) to AFMC’s service providers, provided that such disclosure will be limited to information needed to deliver their services, and further provided that such third parties shall be prohibited from using the information for any other purpose; (b) to conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on AFMC; (c) to protect and defend the rights or property of AFMC; (d) to act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Site users, the public or the Site; or (e) when doing so is required to facilitate the application and for fee assistance. In addition, AFMC shall be entitled to disclose and transfer personal information as part of a sale of substantially all of its assets or business to a third party, provided that such third party either continues with the terms of the Policy herein, or offers to individuals whose information is on the portal, the option of having their information removed from the portal before any material changes or amendments are made to this Policy.
AFMC reserves the right to conduct statistical analysis through the use of data collected through this Site on a de-identified basis in order to measure interest in and use of this Site. AFMC reserves the right to provide its analysis based on such anonymous and aggregated data to third parties.
Disclosure of Private Communication
AFMC will not monitor, edit, or deliberately disclose private communications unless: (a) required to do so by law; (b) you grant us permission; or (c) in good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (i) comply with the laws or regulations; (ii) comply with any legal process that is served on AFMC; (iii) protect and defend the rights or property of AFMC; or (iv) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Site users, the Site, or the public.
AFMC will implement and maintain effective, up-to-date administrative, technical and physical safeguards consistent with accepted information technology, security standards and practices to best protect your personal information. However, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which may be beyond the control of AFMC; (b) the security, integrity and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and AFMC through this Site cannot be guaranteed; and (c) it is possible that such information and data may be viewed or tampered with in transit by a third party without the knowledge or control of AFMC. Should it be the case then AFMC will comply with all relevant protocol and procedures that AFMC has put in place and implements to address any breach of security or confidentiality, and in that respect will notify you, whenever appropriate, of any such unauthorized access to your personal information.
Amendments to This Policy
AFMC reserves the right to change this Policy at any time. If this Policy changes in the future, AFMC will post an updated version on our Site. We recommend you check this Site periodically in order to review our current Policy. If AFMC changes this policy, it will notify you at the time of the change. You can verify that this policy has changed by checking the effective date that appears at the bottom of this Policy. Such changes, modifications, additions or deletions shall be effective immediately. Your continued use of this Site after such modifications will constitute your: (a) acknowledgement of the modified Policy; and (b) agreement to abide and be bound by the modified Policy.
If you have any questions about this Policy or the privacy practices of AFMC in respect of this Site, or if you have any questions about the privacy of your personal information, please direct your inquiry to AFMC Privacy Officer in writing at 100, 2733 Lancaster Road, Ottawa, ON, K1B 4V8, by email at: email@example.com or by phone at: (613) 7300687, ext.: 226.
This Policy was last updated on 2017-10-03.